Friday, October 18, 2013

Where has Kevin Been?

Well you may have been wondering where Kevin has been since we moved back to SC.  This is actually Kevin writing this post to let you know exactly what I have been up to for the last 4 months.  There was one big project that ideally we wanted completed prior to moving into our new home, but time and money just did not allow.  Even once we were moved in I really did not want to tackle this project because I knew it was going to take a lot of time to complete.  What is the project you ask?, You got a sneak peak of it during Helpful Visitors on July 17th.  This was the start of my master bath remodel.  I will let the pictures do most of the talking since Jenny will say that I could make this post 10 pages long if I wrote the whole thing Smile.

Before pictures:

image image

image image

This is the main reason of necessity for the remodel.  The shower door was leaking so bad that during the stay of our tenants for 13 months while we were in MI, it had leaked and created mold/mildew along the shower pan and floor, as well as rotted out the baseboard at the wall on the right as well.  This also leaked into the basement and left a water spot on the ceiling down there.

image

Also due to the water damage the floor was warped and caused the tile to crack, so more reason that the bathroom needed a major update!

image image

Okay, that is where we started, now let’s see the process:

I knew there would be a lot involved in building a full custom tile shower, but with a lot of You Tube research I felt well informed on how to do it.  Basically here were my steps:

1. Reinforce subfloor with 1/2'” plywood,

2. Build curb with 2”X4”s and add wall studs to support shower door.

3. Add “blocking” along base of whore pan to secure vinyl membrane to.

4. Poor “pre-slope” mortar bed.

5. Install plastic moisture barrier along shower walls.

6. Install vinyl membrane on top of pre-slope.

7. Install cement wall board including pre-fab wall niche.

8. Build corner bench with cinder blocks and mortar.

9. Poor final slope of mortar shower pan.

10. Now it is ready for tile!

I have to give a shout-out to Preston Mcbrayer for his help and guidance on doing to tile in the shower floor/curb and bathroom floor.

After these steps we were actually able to move back into our bathroom with the exception of the shower.  Although it was not horrible to have to use the basement bathroom for nearly 3 months, it was nice to be able to use the basics right off the bedroom.

Last, but certainly not least…shower door.  This is the only part other than some plumbing work, that was contracted out to the expertsSmile.

Well it may not look like 4 months worth of work in pictures, but I assure you (and Jenny will attest to the fact) that it definitely occupied most of my free time for the last 4 months.  There were a couple of trips to Charlotte or Madeira Beach for Jenny and the kids to allow me uninterrupted, guilt-free working time.  Thanks babe for being so patient with me (I know at times it was not so easy Smile) while I did my best to give you/us the bathroom of our dreams.  Now we can finally relax in luxury and enjoy some family time as I am not quite so pre-occupied.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Very impressive! Now, when are you coming up to Raleigh to help me do mine before the kid gets here? ;) We just had a contractor out yesterday to give us an estimate but can almost assure you it is going to be more than I can stomach. Yours looks great though, job well done!

Kevin said...

I would be glad to help, but if you plan to do the whole "mortar shower pan" process then it is unfortunately not something that can be accomplished in one weekend.

Ryan said...

I may chat with you about this. Wondering if tiling the bottom is worth the trouble vs. a nice pre-fab pan.

Grammie said...

Grammie is in love with that tub...but I was afraid of running your water bill up, so it wasn't quite as full as I would have liked! Great job Kevin...enjoy...now!