Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The cookie express

It has been quite a cookie fest around here the last few days and we have been loving it!  Growing up my mom always made sugar cookies and let us kids decorate them.  We always looked forward to getting to decorate our cookies which usually included slathering icing over the cookie and covering them with sprinkles and candy... yum!  My cookies never looked like the gourmet cookies you see in bakeries but they still tasted good.  Well on Monday night I got the opportunity to learn how to make my cookies more gourmet looking.  My friend Lindsay's mom had been wanting to learn how to decorate cookies so she found a place that would teach cookie decorating.  I have to say when I saw the examples of what we would be doing I was very skeptical.  We were decorating a Santa, snowman, and Mr. and Mrs. Gingerbread. 
They pre-iced the square portion of Santa's face so we would have time to decorate it (otherwise it wouldn't have had time to harden).
Those were our blank slates to work with and slowly we transformed them into master pieces...
The icing being the right consistency for what you are doing is the key!
Thanks Robyn for being my hand model!
Good workin ladies!
And the final products of all our hard work...
Ok so you caught me, those were the examples... but mine were not too far off.
We had a ton of fun decorating/creating and can't wait to decorate some of our own.  Now only if we had spare time at home without so many little hands flying around, maybe we could take the time to make such beautiful cookies.  Guess that is what bedtime is for :).  After making the cookies we got a discount in the store upstairs so we did a little shopping.
Thanks gal's for such a great time!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

After all the time and effort you put into making them it almost seems like a shame to eat them, lol. Look'n good though!

The Carters said...

That is really cool! I would love to learn how to decorate cookies like that :) Yours turned our great!

Grammie said...

WOW --- having done some simple cookie decorating in my past... I REALLY appreciate the time it took to do such detail... Like you eluded to.. little people should be in bed when this level of decorating is expected to be the result!!! I can't WAIT to see how many dozen you are bringing to Charlotte with you!! LOL