Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chocoholics beware

If you are looking for a super rich cake I have a recipe for you to try, its called a Hershey Bar Cake. If you are a chocoholic just the name of this cake should perk your interest. I personally am not a huge chocolate fan so this cake is not for me but Kevin has enjoyed every bite along with his mom who was just here visiting. It wins no awards for being diet friendly, your arteries will probably clog just reading this blog post.






First using your double boiler melt 6 hershey's chocolate bars in 1 can of hershey's chocolate syrup. While the chocolate cools...



cream 2 cups of sugar with 2 sticks of butter. Next add 4 eggs one at a time and beat well. Mix in cooled chocolate. Mix 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.


Alternatively, add 1 cup of buttermilk and flour mixture. Mix in 2 teaspoons vanilla. This yummy mixture is then backed at 300 degrees for 1-1 1/4 hours in a lightly greased and floured bunt pan. I din't manage to get a picture of the full completed project so my half eaten cake will have to do.


I guess since it is nearly gone it must have been alright. I was a bad baker and neglected to make a frosting to complement my treat and I know that I would have liked it much better with something vanilla to cut some of the chocolate flavor. Happy baking.

Hershey Bar Cake

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
4 eggs
1 can hershey's chocolate syrup
6 plain hershey's bars

melt chocolate bars and syrup over low heat using double boiler. cream sugar and butter, add eggs one at a time. beat well and add cooled chocolate. add flour and milk alternatively. add vanilla and mix well. bake 1-1 1/4 hours at 300 degrees in lightly greased and floured bunt pan.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Looks delicious! I think the post title should be "Calling all chocoholics!" :) I'm definitely going to have to try this, probably WITH frosting. Stay tuned...

Ryan said...

I was just about to write that I think this is something Stephanie will try/love... looks like she beat me to it. :)

Grammie said...

Well, I HAD it and it IS awesome.....I suggest the frostingc for the TX sheet cake recipe as it pours over and sets and would be perfect on the bundt cake! Grammie

Grammie said...

Giving it a try this weekend!